Massachusetts representative Ed Markey introduced a House bill 7394, titled the Smarter Approaches to Nuclear Expenditures (SANE) Act of 2012 in the House of Representatives. He was joined by 34 co-sponsors. Numerous organizations around the country, including OREPA, signed on in support of the legislation as it was being prepared.
Markey’s bill calls for a dramatic reduction in the number of delivery vehicles for nuclear weapons, for the termination of the B61 and W78 Life Extension Programs, and the termination of the Uranium Processing Facility at Oak Ridge as well as the CMRR-NF in Los Alamos and the MOX plant at Savannah River.
Here’s what the bill says about the UPF:
- m) TERMINATION OF UPF.—Notwithstanding any
- 18 other provision of law, none of the funds authorized to
- 19 be appropriated or otherwise made available for fiscal year
- 20 2013 or any fiscal year thereafter for the Department of
- 21 Defense or the Department of Energy may be obligated
- 22 or expended for the Uranium Processing Facility located
- 23 at the Y–12 National Security Complex.
You can read the entire bill here.